Divorced couple Johnny Depp and Amber Heard are heading to trial this week as the latter defends herself against defamation claims. Depp’s claims of defamation are countering Heard’s claims of domestic violence.
On Saturday, Heard went to Instagram to make an announcement just days before the two are set to battle it out in Virginia court.
The actress wrote, “I’m going to go offline for the next several weeks. As you may know, I’ll be in Virginia where I face my ex-husband Johnny Depp in court. Johnny is suing me for an op-ed I wrote in the Washington Post, in which I recounted my experience of violence and domestic abuse.”
Heard says she never said Depp’s name in the article, only discussed the backlash women receive for speaking out against men with money and power.
She added, “I continue to pay that price, but hopefully, when this case concludes, I can move on, and so can Johnny. I have always maintained a love for Johnny, and it brings me great pain to have to live out the details of our past life together in front of the world.”
To end the post, she said, “At this time, I recognize the ongoing support I’ve been fortunate to receive through these years, and in these coming weeks, I will be leaning on it more than ever.”
Amber refers to the article she wrote where she said, “Two years ago, I became a public figure representing domestic abuse, and I felt the full force of our culture’s wrath for women who speak out.”
As we previously reported, Elon Musk and James Franco are just a couple of the witnesses who are expected to take the stand. We will continue to report as this story unfolds.